EarthShare, Inc. (“EarthShare”, “we”, “us”, or “our”) respects privacy, and we know that most people care about how information is used and shared. EarthShare is a non-profit organization that connects the most influential environmental nonprofits with employers, people, and communities to protect our planet. EarthShare and its network of nonprofit partners deliver strategic programs (“EarthShare Programs”) that give people a voice in how they take action and make an impact.
Please note that services are intended for use by residents of the United States and all EarthShare services and systems (including information collected by EarthShare) are housed on servers in the United States. If you are located outside of the United States, information we collect (including cookies) are processed and stored in the United States, which may not offer the same level of privacy protection as the country where you reside or are a citizen. By using the services and providing information to us, you consent to the transfer and processing of the information in the United States.
Last modified: October 20, 2021
Information We Collect
“Personal Information” is information that directly or indirectly identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual. Below are some examples of the Personal Information we may collect through the Services:
- Identifier. Such as real name, address, telephone number, email address, photo, social media identifiers, or other similar identifiers.
- Commercial information. Information about your business operations, transactions with us, and information required for payment processing, such as credit or payment card number, expiration date, CVV number, billing address, company name, and other data required for payment processing.
- Internet or other similar network activity. Such as browsing history, search history, and information on a user’s interactions with the Services.
- Geolocation data. Such as physical location or movements. We may derive your approximate location from your IP address.
Where we need to collect Personal Information by law or to perform the Services under the terms of the contract between us, and you do not provide that data when requested, we may not be able to provide you with the Services or fulfill the contract we have with you. In this case, we may have to cancel a Service, your account with us, or the contract you have with us, but we will notify you if this is the case.
How We Collect Information
We collect information in a variety of ways, including:
- When you register for a donor account with us: When you register with us as a donor, we collect your name, email address, telephone number, address, and password. We also collect other information you choose to provide as part of your account and profile setup, such as employment, social media identifier, and photo. We collect this information so that we may: set up your account, contact you about your account, provide you with access to our content and Services, send you an acknowledgement of your donation, and provide you with information about our Services.
- When you use the Services: When you use the Services (such as our Website, participating in our EarthShare Programs, sending a donation through a workplace campaign, signing up for inclusion in our newsletter list, downloading a white paper published on our Services, or attending one of our events), we may ask for contact information such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, contact preferences, employer/company, and information related to our Services. We collect this information so that we may: keep you informed about EarthShare, respond to your inquiries, and provide you with information about our Services.
- Correspondence: If you send us personal correspondence, such as emails or letters, or contact us via telephone, we may save the information in a profile specific to you. We also collect feedback, questions and information that you provide to us for technical support, surveys, and testimonials. We will collect and use any data files you send to us for troubleshooting and performing and improving our Services. When you contact us, phone conversations or chat sessions with our representatives may be monitored and recorded in order to improve our Services, and facilitate the processing and resolution of your request or complaint.
- Payments: If you make a payment to EarthShare or make a donation through our Services, we will ask for payment information and other information requested for processing your payment. We may use a third-party payment processor to assist with securely processing your payment information. Payment information that is submitted through a third-party payment processor is not stored by EarthShare; we do not control and are not responsible for the payment processor or its collection or use of your information.
- User Contributions: You may provide information or content to be published or displayed (hereinafter, “posted”) on the Services or transmitted to other users of the Services (collectively, “User Contributions”). Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. We cannot control the actions of other users of the Services with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. We cannot and do not guarantee that unauthorized persons will not view your User Contributions.
- Through Server Logs: A server log is a list of the activities that a server performs. EarthShare’s servers automatically collect and store in server logs your search queries, Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL and certain Cookies that identify your browser or EarthShare account. Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Mac), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type, and version and the name and version of the Services (such as the app) you are using. We use this information to ensure that the Services function properly. Further, we use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels, diagnosing server problems and administering the Services. Your IP address is automatically assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider. An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Services, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. Collecting IP addresses is standard practice and is done automatically by many websites, applications, and other services.
- Information from Other Sources: We may obtain both personal and non-personal information about you from business partners, marketing partners, publicly available databases, contractors, suppliers, hosted service providers, and other third parties and add it to our account information or other information we have collected. EarthShare and the third parties we engage may combine information we collect from you over time and across our Services with information obtained from other sources. This helps us improve the information’s overall accuracy and completeness, and also helps us better tailor our interactions with you.
We make every effort to maintain the accuracy and completeness of your Personal Information that you provide to us and to ensure all of your Personal Information is up to date. However, you can assist us with this by promptly contacting us if there are any changes to your Personal Information, or if you become aware that we have inaccurate Personal Information relating to you.
How We Share Information
EarthShare may aggregate information collected though the Services and remove identifiers so that the information no longer identifies or can be used to identify an individual (“Anonymized Information”). EarthShare may share Anonymized Information with third parties and does not limit third parties’ use of the Anonymized Information because it is no longer Personal Information.
Applicable law may require EarthShare to disclose your Personal Information if: (i) it is reasonably necessary to comply with legal process (such as a court order, subpoena or search warrant) or other legal requirements; (ii) the disclosure would mitigate EarthShare’s liability in an actual or threatened lawsuit; (iii) necessary to protect legal rights of EarthShare, users, business partners, or other interested parties; or (iv) necessary for the prevention or detection of crime (subject in each case to applicable law).
By using the Services, you may elect to disclose your Personal Information on message boards, chat, profile pages, blogs, and other services to which you are able to post information and content (including, without limitation, our social media pages). Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services may be available to other users and the general public.
Cookies & Similar Technologies
Types of Cookies
We use both session Cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent Cookies (which stay on your device until you delete them). To make it easier for you to understand why we need them, the Cookies we use on the Services can be grouped into the following categories:
- Strictly Necessary: These Cookies are necessary for the Services to work properly. They include any essential authentication and authorization Cookies for the Services.
- Functionality: These Cookies enable technical performance and allow us to “remember” the choices you make while browsing the Services, including any preferences you set. They also include sign-in and authentication Cookies and IDs that enable you to return without additional sign-in.
- Performance/Analytics: These Cookies allow us to collect certain information about how you navigate or use the Services running on your device. They help us understand which areas you use and what we can do to improve them.
- Marketing and Technical Support: These Cookies are used to deliver relevant information related to the Services to an identified machine or other device (not a named or otherwise identifiable person) which has previously been used to visit the Services. Some of these types of Cookies on the Services are operated by third parties with our permission and are used to identify advertising sources that are effectively driving users to the Services.
To enhance our content and to deliver a better online experience for our users, we sometimes embed images and videos from other websites on the Services or we place third-party Cookies by our business partners or service providers on the Website or in our Services (for example, third-party Cookies that analyze the usage statistics relating to the Website). You may be presented with Cookies from these third parties. Please note that we do not control these Cookies. The privacy practices of these third parties will be governed by the third parties’ own privacy statements or policies. We are not responsible for the security or privacy of any information collected by these third parties, using Cookies or other means. You should consult and review the relevant third-party privacy statement or policy for information on how these Cookies are used and how you can control them.
Below is a representative list of third-party Cookies placed on the Website or in the Services.
Other Similar Technologies
EarthShare web pages may use other technologies such as web beacons to help deliver Cookies on the Services and count users who have visited those websites. We also may include web beacons in our promotional email messages or newsletters to determine whether you open and act on them as well as for statistical purposes.
In addition to standard Cookies and web beacons, the Services can also use other similar technologies to store and read data files on your computer. This is typically done to maintain your preferences or to improve speed and performance by storing certain files locally.
How to Control and Delete Cookies
Cookies can be controlled, blocked or restricted through your web browser settings. Information on how to do this can be found within the Help section of your browser. All Cookies are browser specific. Therefore, if you use multiple browsers or devices to access websites, you will need to manage your cookie preferences across these environments.
If you are using a mobile device to access the Services, you will need to refer to your instruction manual or other help/settings resource to find out how you can control Cookies on your device.
Please note: If you restrict, disable or block any or all Cookies from your web browser or mobile or other device, the Services may not operate properly, and you may not have access to the Services available through the Services. EarthShare shall not be liable for any impossibility to use the Services or degraded functioning thereof, where such are caused by your settings and choices regarding Cookies.
To learn more about Cookies and web beacons, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Do Not Track: Some web browsers (including Safari, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome) incorporate a “Do Not Track” (“DNT”) or similar feature that signals to websites that a user does not want to have his or her online activity and behavior tracked. If a website that responds to a particular DNT signal receives the DNT signal, the browser can block that website from collecting certain information about the browser’s user. Not all browsers offer a DNT option and DNT signals are not yet uniform. For this reason, many website operators, including EarthShare, do not respond to DNT signals.
We are committed to safeguarding and protecting Personal Information and will implement and maintain appropriate technical and organizational measures to ensure a level of security appropriate to protect any Personal Information provided to us from accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorized disclosure of, or access to Personal Information transmitted, stored or otherwise processed.
Any transmission of your Personal Information is at your own risk and we expect that you will use appropriate security measures to protect your Personal Information. You are responsible for maintaining the security of your account credentials for the Services. EarthShare will treat access to the Services through your account credentials as authorized by you. Unauthorized access to password-protected or secure areas is prohibited and may lead to criminal prosecution. We may suspend your use of all or part of the Services without notice if we suspect or detect any breach of security. If you believe that information you provided to us is no longer secure, please notify us immediately using the contact information provided below.
If we become aware of a breach that affects the security of your Personal Information, we will provide you with notice as required by applicable law. To the extent permitted by applicable law, EarthShare will provide any such notice that EarthShare must provide to you under applicable law at your account’s email address. By using the Services, you agree to accept notice electronically.
We use the following third-party providers and they may collect Personal Information from you that is not subject to our control. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of these third-party providers, which are governed by their respective privacy policies, set forth below.
- Givinga – https://www.givinga.com/privacy-policy/
- Stripe – https://stripe.com/privacy
- Plaid – https://plaid.com/legal/#consumers
- Andar – https://www.andarsoftware.com/servlet/eAndar.article/3180/Privacy-Policy
- Salesforce – https://www.salesforce.com/company/privacy/full_privacy/
- WordPress – https://automattic.com/privacy/; WPEngine Servers
- Zoom – https://zoom.us/privacy
- Mail Chimp – https://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/
- CarbonClick – https://www.carbonclick.com/privacy-policy/
- Golden Volunteer – https://www.goldenvolunteer.com/terms-of-service/
The Services are not directed to or intended for use by minors under the age of 18. Consistent with the requirements of applicable law, if we learn that we have received any information directly from a minor without his or her parent’s verified consent, we will use that information only to respond directly to that minor (or his or her parent or legal guardian) to inform the minor that he or she cannot use the Services and subsequently will delete that information.
We only retain your Personal Information as long as necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected or, if longer, to comply with legal obligations, to resolve disputes, to enforce agreements and similar essential purpose. To determine the appropriate retention period for Personal Information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the Personal Information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your Personal Information, the purposes for which we process your Personal Information, whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
Unless we request it, please do not send us, and do not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the Services or otherwise.
Your choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information
We give you choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information for outreach purposes. You may opt-out from:
- Receiving marketing-related communications from us: If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt-out by sending a request by e-mail to [email protected], by postal mail to the address provided under Section 16 (Contacting Us) below or selecting the “Unsubscribe” button from any marketing communications sent by EarthShare
- Our sharing of your Personal Information with unaffiliated third parties for their direct marketing purposes consistent with your choices: If you would prefer that we discontinue sharing your Personal Information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes, you may opt-out of this sharing by sending a request by e-mail to [email protected] or by postal mail to the address provided under “Contacting Us” section below.
Access, modify, or delete your Personal Information
If you would like to access, correct, update, or delete your Personal Information, you may contact us by sending a request to [email protected] or write to us: EarthShare, 1717 K Street, Suite 900, Washington, DC 20006. We will make good faith efforts to resolve requests to correct inaccurate information except where the request is unreasonable, requires disproportionate technical effort or expense, jeopardizes the privacy of others, or would be impractical.
In your request, please make clear what Personal Information you would like to access, or have corrected, updated, or deleted. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the Personal Information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information if an exception applies, such as for record-keeping purposes or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a deletion.
Updates to this policy
1717 K Street, Suite 900
Washington, DC 20006
Because email communications are not always secure, please do not include credit card or other sensitive information in your emails to us.
Last modified: October 20, 2021