A healthy environment needs well-trained leaders capable of executing creative solutions to future challenges. Environmental education build awareness of how to live in a way that conserves resources for future generations. Educational programs aimed at children and adults are critical in fostering a healthier and safer planet.
If our young people don’t spend time outside or have a basic understanding of science and ethics, how can we expect them to handle the environmental challenges they’re sure to face in the years ahead? Environmental education programs reconnect children to nature in their backyards and around the world and foster an appreciation of the earth. Such education isn’t just good for the planet though—children who spend time outside have been proven to be happier and healthier.
An educated public is essential to a healthy environment. Every industry, from information technology to manufacturing needs an environmentally-minded workforce to accelerate the transition to a green and just economy. Health professionals with training in environmental issues will be better advocates for healthy hospitals and pollution controls. Business managers will have a better sense of the impacts of their supply chains and investments. With strong training, workers will be equipped to implement the clean technologies of the future.
Working on Environmental Education
EarthShare is committed to supporting our member organizations’ work on environmental education. Your support of these programs fosters a generation of informed environmentalists ready to tackle challenges like global warming, air and water pollution, and wildlife protection.
Get involved by:
- Making an online donation to EarthShare
- Introducing the EarthShare employee program to your workplace
- Teaching your kids good environmental stewardship at school
- Reading the resources below from our member organizations
- What is a Green School?, Earth Day Network*
- How Do You Become an Eco-School?, National Wildlife Federation*
- About EARTH University, EARTH University Foundation*
- New Leaders Initiative, Earth Island Institute*
- Classroom Earth, National Environmental Education Foundation*
- Generation Conservation, Conservation International*
- Roots & Shoots, Jane Goodall Institute*
- NWF's Be Out There Movement, National Wildlife Federation*
* EarthShare member organization