Get Involved > 2016 Anacostia River Cleanup
April 23rd is the Annual Earth Day Cleanup and Celebration coordinated by Anacostia Watershed Society (AWS)! Each year, thousands of volunteers care for their community by donating a couple of hours to help remove tons of debris from DC’s Anacostia River. Afterwards, we all enjoy a free Earth Day Celebration, with food, music and entertainment! The event is family-friendly and volunteers of all ages are welcome.
EarthShare will be joining AWS at Kingman Island, Washington, DC, and we invite you to take the...
Local workplaces can compete in a FREE opportunity to show the community just how green your company can be! Participants in the EarthShare EcoChallenge will compete with other companies to see who can rally the most volunteers. Colleagues work as teams, building morale and engagement, while making a significant contribution to the health of the community.
The company that brings the largest number of volunteers will win an exclusive outdoor experience from EarthShare!
Why should a company take the EarthShare EcoChallenge?
- Increase your company’s visibility as a socially responsible member of the community.
- Actively demonstrate commitment to improving the community's health and the health of the planet.
- Build morale and engagement as employee teams work together to represent their company and care for their community.
How the EarthShare EcoChallenge Works:
- Sign up! Contact Zach and let him know your workplace will be participating.
- Identify an Employee Team Leader: The Team Leader will be the on-site employee who ensures your volunteers are properly registered on the morning of the event. EarthShare will communicate with your Team Leader regarding logistics, online promotional activities, volunteer counts, and cleanup site instructions.
- Promote the event to your employees: Post our fliers in communal work areas and break rooms; add the event to your internal calendars; offer a signup on your employee intranet; mention it on your company Facebook pages and Twitter; send an electronic flier to employees via email, etc. We can help with promotional ideas and materials.
- EarthShare will spotlight your company’s commitment: Your company’s logo will be featured here on our event page; we will promote your participation to our social communities on Twitter and Facebook; and the three employers who rally the most volunteers will receive additional post-event promotion on our website and e-newsletter!
- A special prize will be awarded to the employer recruiting the most participation: Your employees who come out to support the cleanup will receive an exclusive outdoor experience to reward and recognize their effort.
Who: EarthShare, the Anacostia Watershed Society, and YOU!
What: Anacostia Watershed Society's Annual Earth Day Cleanup and Celebration
Where: EarthShare's cleanup locations: Kingman Island, Washington DC // Earth Day Celebration: Kingman Island
When: Saturday, April 23 2016, 9:00am - 12:00pm // Celebration: 12:00pm - 2:00pm
What should I bring?
- Long, sturdy pants (jeans or another thick fabric)
- Shoes or boots that can get dirty and wet
- Sunscreen and hat
- Water bottle (with water in it of course!)
- Work or gardening gloves; we'll supply bags & plastic gloves
Questions about our EcoChallenge?
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 240-333-0300 ext. 13
EarthShare proudly partners with businesses and organizations that share our commitment to supporting our community and creating a healthier environment. Our valued 2016 EarthShare EcoChallenge participants include:
EarthShare thanks our past EcoChallenge participants:
Individuals interested in participating in the clean-up outside of the EarthShare EcoChallenge may RSVP through the Anacostia Watershed Society website. Click here to visit their registration page.