Your Earth Month Roundup > April 2013
Photo: Mount Rainier, SCA/NPS
EarthShare’s member charities and local affiliates are offering all kinds of ways to do good and have fun during Earth Month. Below is just a sampling of the ways you can get involved. Don't see your city on the list? Plug your zip code into our volunteer widget, or search with Idealist.org for more events. The Environmental Protection Agency also has a map of Earth Month activities.
- Nationwide & Virtual Opportunities.
- Multiple Cities, CA. Multiple Days: EarthShare and EarthShare CA member organizations Surfrider Foundation, Save Our Shores, and Heal the Bay are sponsoring beach cleanups at sites all over the state throughout the month of April. Click on the organizations' links above for more information.
- Oakland/San Francisco, CA. Multiple Days: Join the Golden Gate Audubon Society in restoring habitat to sites throughout the region. Projects include planting, invasive removal, and trash pickup.
- San Jose, CA. April 20: Join community members to grow trees with Our City Forest.
- Hartford, CT.
- April 20: Join CFPA to help lead one or two family nature walks or hikes in Keney Park, Hartford.
- Washington, DC.
- Month of April: The Earth Day Network and Union Station host a film festival, a farmers’ market, alternative energy demonstrations, a green fashion show and a science fair with local schools, all held at Union Station throughout the month of April.
- April 20: EarthShare and The Anacostia Watershed Society invite you to help clean up the Anacostia River at the 19th Annual Earth Day River Cleanup and Celebration.
- April 20: Earth Day Party for the Planet at the National Zoo. Come to the National Zoo for a free public event to celebrate Earth Day and the Zoo's commitment to green practices.
- Atlanta, GA.
- April 6: Join the Georgia for a Corporate Green Day Challenge. The event allows employees to experience first-hand the work of EarthShare of Georgia’s environmental member organizations and area parks that “do green” every day in caring for our air, land and water.
- April 19: Now in its eleventh year, the EarthShare of Georgia Earth Day Leadership Breakfast will feature a thought-provoking keynote speaker who will explore creative ways business leaders can invest in their communities and promote environmental sustainability.
- April 25: EarthShare of Georgia is throwing its annual Earth Day party at the King Plow Arts Center. Enjoy music, dancing, auction, beverages and great food.
- Multiple Locations, MA. Multiple Days.
- April 21: Join the Franklin Park Zoo's Party for the Planet in Dorchester, MA. Learn about the incredible animals that call the Zoo home as well as ways everyone can contribute to a healthy planet.
- April 27: Statewide Volunteer Day
Work for Wildlife: Join one of many projects at 15 sites around Massachusetts sponsored by Mass Audubon. Many projects can accommodate people of all ages, so bring your family or a group of friends and spend a morning working for wildlife.
- Royal Oak, MI. April 20-21: Celebrate Earth Day at the Detroit Zoo. Includes earth-friendly crafts, an endangered species scavenger hunt, animal enrichment activities, zookeeper talks and exhibits by local conservation groups and the Detroit Zoo's Green Team.
- Kansas City, MO.
- April 20: Purchase quality native plants for your home landscaping and help the Missouri Prairie Foundation raise funds for prairie conservation.
- April 20: EarthWalk 2013 supports the programs of Bridging The Gap (BTG), Kansas City's environmental education and action organization.
- Springfield, MO. April 22: The James River Basin Partnership invites all water lovers to bring your canoe or kayak and spend a couple of hours picking up trash from Lake Springfield.
- St. Louis, MO. April 20: Join the Open Space Council to help pick up litter from Forest Park.
- Multiple Locations, NJ. April 27: Clean Ocean Action invites citizens and organizations to participate in the 28th Annual Spring Beach Sweeps at over 60 sites along the Jersey Shore. A complete list of cleanup locations and times can be found here.
- New York, NY. April 21: Celebrate Earth Day in Union Square with live performances, green-vehicle runway and exhibition, and exhibits and displays by local and national environmental organizations, local businesses, and corporate partners.
- Columbus, OH. April 20-21 and April 27: Join Green Columbus and lead sponsor The Green Funds of the Columbus Foundation for Earth Day 2013: Stand Together, which includes hundreds of volunteer activities across the region during the weekend of April 20-21 and a citywide celebration on April 27 at the Columbus Commons.
- Cleveland, OH. April 22: Earth Day Coalition presents EarthFest 2013 at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo.
- Multiple Locations, TX. Month of April: The popular H-E-B tear pad program returns to H-E-B Stores throughout Texas and including Central Markets throughout the month of April. Shop at H-E-B and donate to EarthShare Texas.
- Dallas, TX. April 20-21: Earth Day Dallas is an annual, outdoor festival seeking to elevate environmental awareness and influence the way North Texans think, live and work.