Celebrate Dad and the Planet!
Father’s Day is around the corner, and since we know some super eco-friendly dads out there, it seems like a great time to find a few more ways to celebrate the men in our lives while showing some love for our environment. Here are our ideas to show dad you care about him and the world he helped bring you into!
- Hit a local trail or park. What better way to fit in some dad bonding time than in the great outdoors? Check out a nearby rail trail with Rails-to-Trails Conservancy’s trail finder, visit a National Park, or make it a tradition to plant a Father’s Day tree!
- Get green on the green. Recycled tees and eco balls make perfect gifts for golf-enthusiast dads. Plus we’ve rounded up our top 15 tips for keeping dad’s next game green, clean, and sustainable.
- Is dad more into angling? Encourage your dad, uncles, and grandfathers alike to use a vintage fishing pole rather than a brand new model. Better yet, do the legwork for him and scout out some great finds on Craigslist or Ebay. For some deep Dad’s Day discussion while you’re reeling in a big catch, impress your father and friends with your knowledge of sustainable fishing and fair access to fish.
- Give the gift of sun power! For gadget loving dads, hand-cranked or solar powered chargers are perfect for loading up smartphones, mp3 players and laptops on the go and on the next family camping trip.
- Green dad’s gym routine. If physical fitness is on your dad’s to-do list, outfit him with some fresh eco-friendly workout threads or a reusable water bottle to keep him moving and hydrated. And get him pumped up for more workouts with our latest green fitness guide.
- Help dad ditch the disposables. There are lots of options to get a good, safe shave without using disposable razors; why not treat dad to a straight razor or a safety razor this Father's Day? After the initial investment for the razor and blades, there are considerable cost savings -- and the potential to keep a whole lot of plastic out of our landfills!
- Share a ‘green’ brew. Nothing beats sharing a cold one with dad on his special day. Shop around to find some great local and organic beers and find out how you can green your brew (or brew your own) year round.